February 26, 2013

Versions

In my previous post, I showed you a cutting that was given as an anniversary present.  I explained that it was based on a more traditional look, using imagery and symmetry commonly found in traditional German pieces.  In this post, I'm going to show you another anniversary cutting that I did just two weeks ago, but this one is not so traditional in its look. 

I was commissioned to make this piece in celebration of a 10th wedding anniversary for a couple that was married one Valentine's Day.  When I was originally contacted, the woman who requested the piece had liked a more modern looking tree cutting that was pictured on my Facebook page.  The tree in question was originally cut as a gift for a teacher.  The client really liked the look of the tree and wanted something similar.  I must admit, she made it easy for me as she already pretty much had in mind what she wanted so it was easy to flush out details with just a few back-and-forth messages. 

She asked specifically for a black tree and gold parchment background.  She also wanted a heart or multiple hearts thrown in there and some writing, specifically "Happy 10th Anniversary" as well as her original wedding date.  Through our brief messages, it was decided to include 10 gold-leafed hearts to represent their 10 years together and frame it with a gold speckled black mat.

This was a fun project to work on as it was something unique and involved more than just the cutting.  I had fun speckling the mat by using a toothbrush to "flick" the gold paint onto it.  And as for the gold-leafing...well, in the past that was always a touchy task to do.  Anyone who's ever done gold-leafing with those flimsy pieces of paper knows what I'm talking about!  But I found a new product to use this time around and after sampling it found that it worked beautifully and gave a perfect finish!  As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to using more of this product on the commissioned wedding piece I'll be starting next week!!


close-up of speckled mat


close-up of gold-leafed hearts
 Here is a picture of the finishing piece.  A more modern folk-arty tree for a more modern couple!  I wish many happy anniversaries to come for Nicole & Steve and I'm ever so grateful that I was given this opportunity to make a piece for their wall!!!


You must forgive me for the quality of my photos.  I am a poor picture-taker to begin with and it seems that I'm even worse when photographing my art.  Do me a favor and overlook my cock-eyed portraits.  Thank you!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment